Apr 12, 2009

dressing rooms and man caves

I've been giving a lot of thought to my clothing problem, and the inordinate amount of influence it's having on the process of buying a house. Vintage homes charm and delight me, but when I begin to consider the amount of closet space they tend to have (not very much), I shy away. I have a ridiculously large wardrobe of my own, and also the remaining stock from a vintage clothing site I used to run. I can fill a generous walk-in closet with those things alone, but there are also several large tubs of fabric, trim, patterns, and the sewing machine that will one day turn them all into something more useful.


Photo by abbyladybug

My husband has a similar problem with ugly electronics (he owns five computers, by my count) and their messes of cords. He also refuses to buy an actual dresser for his clothes and insists instead on hanging most of them and transferring the remainder between two mesh laundry hampers.

We both have things that I wouldn't want anywhere near the public areas of a home because they'd be in the way and unsightly. I don't them to be the first things I see when I wake up in the morning, as they are now (our bed faces the closet, one of the more depressing views I've ever had). I want them confined and organized in spaces designed to accommodate them, not sheepishly shoehorned into what pretends otherwise to be an orderly home.

I'm considering that a vintage home with scant storage could work out perfectly if it only had one room big enough to be carved up into a dressing room and a man cave. I've been getting inspiration for my mini-domain from these photos from decorology on Flickr:



The nice thing about my husband having his own private space is that I don't have to care how he decorates his.

No comments:

Post a Comment